I don't have whatever gene it is people get that makes them go nuts over sandwich cookies (I'm looking at you, Oreo-lovers). The only time I will ever opt for a sandwich cookie over some other kind of cookie is if the sandwich part involves ice cream. Because, well...ice cream. I think non-ice cream sandwich cookies usually end up with both really sweet cookies AND really sweet filling. Not my game. I don't want to feel like I've instantaneously developed a mouthful of cavities. Ick.
I came across this recipe a few months ago, and as a lover of all things lemon-y and most things oatmeal-y, I was curious. I finally got around to making them this weekend, and I have to tell you...they're pretty epic. The oatmeal cookie balances out the sweetness and tartness of the lemon icing/filling quite nicely, and the addition of ginger and cardamom to the recipe complements both the citrus and the oats and helps round out the flavors. Oh, and don't skip out on the browned butter in the icing. Seriously.
Oatmeal Lemon Sandwich Cookies
recipe adapted from Take A Megabite
For the cookie:
the zest from 3/4 of a lemon
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
one small pinch of ground cardamom
one slightly larger pinch of ground ginger
1 3/4 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1 cup + 6 TB all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp (up to 1/2 tsp, if you are a salty person) kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, rub the lemon zest into the brown sugar.
- Beat in the butter, buttermilk, and vanilla with an electric mixer.
- Mix in remaining cookie ingredients.
- Shape dough into 1/2 inch balls. Place balls about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Flatten cookies a bit with your palm, the bottom of a glass, etc.
- Bake 5-9 minutes or until barely golden brown at the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets for two minutes or until they can be transported easily to a cooling rack. When cooled, match them up by size.
For the filling:
3 TB butter, melted and browned
2 1/2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
remaining zest from the lemon you were using for the cookies
pinch of ginger
as much juice as you need from 1 lemon (I needed the full lemon worth of juice)
- Combine browned butter and powdered sugar in a medium/large bowl.
- Mix with an electric mixer or hand mixer until combined.
- Add zest, ginger, and a tablespoon of juice. Mix. Continue adding juice and mixing until no longer lumpy, until you reach the desired consistency for sandwiching. If it gets too liquid-y, you can add a bit more powdered sugar to thicken it up.
- Get sandwiching!