I have a confession to make. I'm not a big chocolate fan.
I know, I know. It's horrible. But, to be fair, it's not that I dislike it, it's just that I will rarely ever choose chocolate if there's another option.
That said, I will absolutely be making these again. They are holy cow, knock your socks off awesome. Not wearing socks? Well, they might just knock your pants off or something.
I meant nothing by that.
These are even better the next day, if it's at all possible for them to get any better. I stored mine in the fridge in an airtight container overnight and brought them to work the next morning. And now I'm the most popular person in the building. (It's not hard, our building only has 12 people working in it. And sometimes a dog, too.)
Malted Brownies with Chocolate Malt Cream Cheese Frosting
recipe adapted from Take A Megabite
3/4 cup ovaltine (the original malt kind, not the weird super-chocolate kind)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
1/2 cup chopped whoppers or malted milk balls
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
5 TB unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 TB ovaltine
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract pinch of salt
5 oz. cream cheese, cold
1/4-1/2 cup chopped whoppers
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Spray your baking dish with cooking spray and line with parchment. Spray with cooking spray again (so your parchment doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the brownies.)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the ovaltine, brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Set aside. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, vanilla and oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until no dry patches remain. Fold in 1/2 cup chopped whoppers and pour into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a think knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Make frosting: beat butter, vanilla and salt together for 2 min. Sift in confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, and ovaltine until mixed thoroughly. It will be crumbly and dry. Add the cold cream cheese all at once and beat on medium for 5 minutes until lightened in color and smooth. Don’t beat too long, or it can quickly become runny.
- Once brownies are completely cool, frost with the cocoa cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with remaining 1/4-1/2 cup chopped whoppers. Enjoy!
- If storing overnight - cut brownies, and place them in an airtight container in the fridge.