It's POPSICLE WEEK 2016! A bunch of bloggers have teamed up to give you enough popsicle recipes to last through the summer -- check out the full list over at Wit & Vinegar.
There could not be a more opportune week for popsicles. We've officially skipped spring and jumped right into summer, aka the WORST season (yes, yes, commence the booing and hissing.) So much humidity and sweatiness. Thankfully, Chicago makes up for its disgusting summer weather with lots of festivals and baseball games and patio dining/drinking...so I guess we'll call it even-ish.
This is a pretty basic popsicle situation, but sometimes basic is where it's at, right? I feel like you could even have these for breakfast if your summer gets that unbearable...I mean, there's fruit and yogurt, so ya know...healthier than cold pizza, at least. All you've gotta do here is blend up some super ripe fruit with a little simple syrup, and swirl in some honeyed greek yogurt (optional, but delicious). Use whatever fruit looks (and tastes) best...we've been having some good luck produce-wise with mangoes and strawberries so far this year, and I also just think they look pretty together. Very sunrise-y.
Mango + Strawberry Pops
makes 8-10 popsicles
2 very ripe mangoes
1 lb ripe strawberries
simple syrup (equal parts water & sugar)
3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- Peel and cut up your mangoes. Throw the flesh into a food processor or blender with 1/8 cup simple syrup. Blend until smooth. Adjust sweetness, if needed. Put puree in a bowl and set aside.
- Rinse your food processor.
- Remove the stems from your strawberries. Add berries and 1/8 cup simple syrup to your food processor and blend until smooth. Press through a sieve to remove seeds (optional). Set aside.
- Mix 3/4 cup greek yogurt with 1 1/2 TB honey.
- Layer ingredients as desired in your popsicle molds.
- Eat. :)